Saturday, February 14, 2015

This Thing Called Love

Isn’t it funny how love is seen in this world?

You want to make a million bucks? Write a love story. It can be in a movie, a book, or a song. Only don’t bore us. Spark it up! Make it exciting.  Just when they think everything’s alright, break them up. Throw in another guy. Make them cry. Kill one of them.

Make it complicated. Because that’s what love is, right?
I’ve seen and heard a lot of pictures of love. I’ve read the books and seen the movies—tales of heartbreak, confusion, and thrills. Not that those stories are bad. But it seems that love is portrayed in almost every way, expect simply.

“Love is a ruthless game, unless you play it good and right,” Taylor Swift once sang. “Love is never, ever simple,” One Direction said as-a-matter-of-factly. In almost every hyped science fiction trilogy, there’s some kind of love triangle. And, I think, in the confusion of it all, we almost forget what love is.
Love is simple. Sure, situations are complicated, but love isn’t. Is it easy? Of course not. Can it frustrate you? Yes. But through it all, love isn’t a game. Love isn’t supposed to drive you insane. It’s much more powerful than that.

Love is noun and a verb. Love is being there for someone and caring for them, even if they might have hurt you before. Love is being willing to give up everything you have and being okay with it, as long as you’re with someone.
No, it’s not easy at all. There are no shortcuts to love—true love, anyways. But despite what Hollywood has made it out to be, it’s not a mystery. It can seem quite impossible, yes, but love is one of those things that can change everything.  Yet, it’s not hard to figure out.
Say you had ten people in your life that you loved. Now think that nine of those people hurt you needlessly and then left. Sounds like a nightmare, right? But all the same, it’s better than having no one at all. That’s the wonderful thing about love. Jesus is right. Without love, we are nothing.

And there is only one perfect love.

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. 1st Corinthians 13:1-3.

 

10 comments:

  1. This is so true, Sarah! Love is a hard thing to define, because God is the definition of love, and we can never completely comprehend him.
    I love this song by Francesca that talks about how, "Sometimes love will make you cry, love's not easy, but it's worth it."
    I'm thankful that God is the one that has promised no matter what, He loves us unconditionally. (which was actually what my blog post was about today)
    -Lauren <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I LOVE that song! Me too; it's amazing, isn't it? I read your blog post. It was awesome! Thanks so much for commenting:)
      In Christ,
      Sarah

      Delete
  2. Love is definitely so complicated. Go listen to New Romantics by Taylor Swift ;)

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that song, but I don't think it really describes love, not real love, anyway. Just a deceiving, exciting feeling. Thanks for commenting:)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful post, Sarah! I think why the world makes love out to be so complicated is because they don't understand it. Without Christ, love SHOULDN'T (I mean for that to be italicized, but I can't do that in a comment lol) exist. If all that there is to this life is what we see now, and the only reason we are here is because of millions of years of death and fighting; then love is confusing. Why love and surrender, when you can hate and get what you want? Why should we feel positively towards someone who has hurt us? But with Christ we have all the answers. Love exist because He is the Author of it. He loved us FIRST, so we can love others. The world is baffled, but the truth makes everything clear.

    ~Jess

    (My point of that rambling, preachy comment is: I totally agree with you! Great post!" ;D )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome! You're totally right, Christ made love and only He can do it perfectly. I love your comment. I wish the world would understand the true picture of love. It's so much more satisfying than their love could ever be. Thanks:)

      Delete
  4. This is awesome!
    Sophia
    someplaceinthemidst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's so so nice to hear a Christian take on songs like that. (by Taylor Swift or 1D) This post is great, and I feel that there are many who could use it. <3

    - autumn
    http://autumnreadsandwritesallday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like to write Christian takes on songs. Thanks for the encouraging comment!

      Delete

Comments are always welcome! Post a comment below! They make our day!

In Christ,
Sarah